Major Road Construction Projects 2018
Road Construction Projects
13800 South Widening Phase 1. Phase 1 has been completed. Please note Phase 2 of this project (13800 South from 300 East to the Draper Canal Trail) is currently under design and is anticipated to be constructed in 2019.
Non-City Construction ProjectsSouth Valley Sewer District (SVSD) – Sewer Main Replacement on Fort Street
Work on South Valley Sewer District’s sewer pipe replacement project on Fort Street from approximately 13400 South to Willow Springs Lane in underway. The anticipated completion date is mid-October. This project requires one-way traffic through the work zone that may cause minor delays, especially when school begins in August.
UDOT- I-15 Southbound Project
Safety Tip. Heads up! Please avoid distractions and drive safely through this project and it’s work zones. For your safety and that of our construction crews, please watch for new traffic patterns, lane shifts and construction signage as you are driving.
New Construction Activities
- Drivers are advised to watch for a new traffic pattern at the 12300 S off ramp beginning Saturday, Oct. 20th. Traffic will shift to the east to accommodate additional ramp construction.
- A full closure of 4800 S between Commerce Drive and Riverside Drive is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 20 from 9 p.m. to 8 a.m., as crews begin bridge modifications. Please use alternate routes or follow posted detour routes (See map below).
- Work on the 4800 S. bridge will continue for several weeks. Area residents and businesses may notice an increase in construction noise and vibrations while this work occurs, including overnight hours.
- Crews will continue working in the freeway median to install foundations for overhead signs. Drivers can expect narrowed shoulders at all hours and nightly left lane closures on both southbound and northbound lanes, for the next six to eight weeks.
- Dominion Energy (Questar) has begun work** on 7200 S. between 700 W. and just west of Bingham Junction Blvd. This work is anticipated to take 1 month and includes shoulder closures and possible sidewalk closures along the north side of the road between I-15 and Bingham Junction. **This work is not associated with the I-15 Southbound project but is occurring in the project area.
Ongoing Construction Activities
The following are ongoing activities along the Project corridor. Crews will continue work along the norther and southern segments of the I-15 Southbound project – from 4800 S. to 12300 S. Work will include:
- Crews will continue work along the southern segment of the I-15 Southbound project – from I-215 to 12300 S. Work will include:
- Demolition of existing barrier and concrete pavement
- Roadway excavation and drainage work along the outside shoulder
- Paving of new lane along the shoulder
- Ongoing lane restrictions on 5900 S. with a night-time flagging operation to accommodate bridge construction.
- The 7200 S. to southbound I-15 on-ramp is reduced from 2 lanes to 1 lane to accommodate ramp and wall construction for the new interchange configuration.
- The point where traffic from I-215 merges from three lanes to two before entering southbound I-15 traffic has shifted north to allow for construction of the new interchange configuration. Previously, motorists merged left to right – now, motorists merge from right to left.
What to Expect
- Drivers can expect nightly lane closures, including on and off ramps.
- Lane closures may occur on the following schedule:
- Monday – Thursday, 9 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- Friday, 11 p.m. – 6 a.m.
- Saturday, 11 p.m. – 8 a.m.
- Sunday, 6 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- Drivers can expect temporary barriers and the outside shoulder to be closed. Use inside shoulder or signed pullouts in case of emergency.
- Residents and businesses adjacent to active construction can expect some increase in noise and dust.
HOV/Express Lanes are suspended through the I-15 Southbound project from S.R. 201 to 12300 S. These suspensions will be in place for the duration of the project.
Solo drivers may use the HOV lane as a general-purpose lane as crews work to keep traffic flowing but should note the following:
- Don't cross the double white lines--it's unsafe and illegal.
- Don't weave in and out--enter and exit at designated areas indicated by white-dotted lines.
- Trailers and vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of more than 12,000 pounds are not allowed in the two left lanes.
Visit UDOT’s Express Lane info page for more information on using the Express Lanes properly.Other Projects
Construction season is upon us! Check out other projects in the area and know before you go.
- I-15 Technology Corridor – Lehi Main Street to S.R. 92
- South Valley Improvements
- Mountain View Corridor
- I-215 Renewed – S.R. 201 to 2200 North
- I-15 Northbound
Redwood Road (SR-68) and Porter Rockwell Blvd. Intersection Reconstruction
Crews continue working on the reconstruction of the intersection.
Work days are Monday – Sunday 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Even though the road has been widened we can't use the full width at this time because of a necessary surface treatment for the new pavement that is needed. This work is scheduled to take place this weekend.
Redwood Road Traffic
Most of the time on Redwood road at the intersection there will be two southbound lanes. For northbound travel on Redwood Road there will be at least one northbound lane with a signal light and one left turn lane onto Porter Rockwell. Please be prepared to stop at the intersection.
Porter Rockwell Boulevard Traffic
For eastbound travel on Porter Rockwell Boulevard, the left turn movement onto northbound Redwood Road will be closed, however a right hand turn movement onto southbound Redwood road will be maintained.
An alternate route is provided at 13400 South and Mountain View corridor as well as a detour route. Please follow the detour using 13400 South for access to northbound Redwood Road.
River View Drive Traffic
Left turns out of River View Drive onto southbound Redwood Road will be prohibited. Left turns from southbound Redwood Road onto River View Drive will also be prohibited. Please find alternate routes. These restrictions are expected to be in place for approximately one week.
Please Note: During construction there will not be any bike lanes or shoulders available for use. If possible please find an alternate route.
Please share this information with anyone who may benefit from it. You can receive weekly updated information about expected impacts during construction. Just send an email and request “Porter Rockwell Updates” to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Work days are Monday – Saturday 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Sunday work may occur as needed.
Work is expected to be complete by
Summer of 2019
Schedules are subject to change due to weather conditions and material availability.Project Scope
Work includes improvements to the intersection of Redwood Road and Porter Rockwell Boulevard which will include widening to accommodate additional turning movements, storm drainage, sidewalks, pedestrian ramps, signals and lighting. Please follow any posted detour signs.
To receive weekly e-mail updates on the project, or for questions or comments, please contact us:Hotline: (800) 948-8286